Frequently Asked Questions
- How does Maveron differ from other venture capital firms?
- What are Maveron's investment criteria and what target areas are the most interest to Maveron?
- At what stage does Maveron invest?
- How do I approach Maveron with a business plan?
- What should my executive summary include?
- What topics should be addressed by my business plan?
- When will I hear back from Maveron?
- What is the average size of an initial investment?
- Does Maveron prefer to lead a round?
- Does Maveron always take a board seat?
- How do I know my idea will be kept confidential?
- What should I look for in a venture capital partners?
How does Maveron differ from other venture capital firms?
Maveron utilizes a unique investment platform that encompasses our people, our network and our insight. We are a premier VC, with a proven track record and a reputation for providing unprecedented support to our entrepreneurs, offering active participation and guidance in all areas of a company's development.
What are Maveron's investment criteria and what target areas are the most interest to Maveron?
Maveron invests in consumer businesses. Because we are 100% consumer-focused, we bring a wealth of understanding and experience to a wide range of consumer-oriented industries. Our team consists of people who have been both operators and investors and can therefore provide invaluable sector expertise in terms of content as well as process.
At what stage does Maveron invest?
We focus on early- to mid-stage ventures that have a highly differentiated brand.
How do I approach Maveron with a business plan?
The best way to approach Maveron is through someone we already know-an entrepreneur from one of our portfolio companies or one of our advisors. But if this is not possible your executive summary and/or business plan may be submitted through our website.
What should my executive summary include?
An effective executive summary is typically one to two pages long and answers the following eleven questions:
- What is your business?
- Who is your management team?
- What is your business model (primary source of revenue)?
- What need are you fulfilling or what problem are you solving?
- Who are your competitors?
- Who are your customers?
- What is the status of your development?
- Idea stage
- Development stage
- Product or service available to customers
- Have raised some revenue
- Have raised significant revenue and are looking to ramp up business
- How much money are you looking to raise?
- What is your target valuation?
- Who are your current investors?
- Where are you headquartered?
The full business plan should cover the following:
- The business a) Short description of company's business b) Mission statement
- Market a) Historic and projected size b) Market trends
- Product Offering a) Product description b) Current development status and projections c) Differentiation d) Revenue generation
- Distribution a) Key customers b) Sales channels c) Partnerships
- Competition a) Key competitors b) Barrier to entry
- Management Team a) Team background b) Board composition
- Financials a) Current balance sheet b) Projected cash flow (first two years by quarters) c) Projected head count by functional area (G & A, sales, marketing, Product Development)
- The Deal a) Amount to be raised b) Valuation asked c) Use of proceeds
When will I hear back from Maveron?
All submissions will be reviewed by a member of our investment team. If your plan does not fit into our investment criteria you will receive communication stating so within 30 days. To proceed to the next stage a member will contact you to conduct preliminary due diligence. Throughout the process Maveron maintains an open and transparent communication channel to ensure that you always know where you stand.
What is the average size of an initial investment?
The initial investment usually is between $3 to $10 million.
Does Maveron prefer to lead a round?
Maveron prefers to be the lead, but this has not prevented us from co-investing in rounds led by other VCs.
Does Maveron always take a board seat?
We typically seek representation on the company's board of directors as a way of actively supporting management with operational and strategic issues.
How do I know my idea will be kept confidential?
Maveron has a reputation for integrity, fairness and reliability. Confidentiality is a key aspect of a VC's operating procedure and all material presented to Maveron remains private and secure.
What should I look for in a venture capital partner?
A venture capital partner should be just that—a partner. You need to be selective. Look for a partner that will add value, maximize the probability for success, give help and support along the way—even during adverse market conditions. We urge you to do your own due diligence before entering into a relationship.